Do you set “Smart” fitness goals?
Does this sound like you? “I’m going to lose weight this year… I need to get in shape.” How does it work out? That’s been me about 90% of the times I’ve tried losing weight. Setting SMART fitness goals has been the one thing that has brought me success.
I hate anything that seems like it may be mentally taxing without any joy in return. The ADHD in me hits a mental fatigue wall fast – as in just thinking about it. Here’s the thing, every time I make a legit plan and keep track, I find so much more success. It’s not so bad as you may think, and as you see yourself hitting goals, it becomes so rewarding, that you get that hit of joy with every day you track.
Affiliate links- I use affiliate links to cover the associated costs of providing this website. I only recommend resources and products in which I personally see true value. I make a small commission, and your price is the same. Thank you for your support of AHM, it means the world to me!
Why SMART fitness goals? (or any goal for that matter)
If you aren’t careful to set goals that you can actually make, it’s beyond discouraging. It’s great to have high hopes and aspirations, but “Hope deferred makes a heart sick.” (Proverbs 13:12) Surely you realize that without anyone telling you.
Think of the last time you set a goal (fitness or otherwise) for the billionth time only to fail. Doesn’t the thought of it just hurt? It’s so discouraging. Setting SMART fitness goals makes certain that you aren’t setting the bar too high, or veering off track. The accountability is somewhat built in.
Want to grab your own printable goal sheet? Subscribe below and I’ll send you 3 designs to choose from!
Tone Fitness Weighted Vest, 12 lbsProgress Planner – Best Daily Planner and Calendar to Set Goals and Crush Them | Improve Productivity, Time Management, and HappinessKnock Knock Daily Intention Tracker Note Pad (12270)
What is a SMART goal?
SMART is an acronym. It stands for: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. These are the key components of making a goal that will stick! When you have a plan or roadmap, you’ll find your destination more often! 😉 I’ll use my New Years fitness goal as an example.
- Specific- I want to lose 3 overall inches by March by eating clean and exercising 5 days a week.
- Measurable- I will measure my inches once a week to make sure I am making progress towards my goal and adjust accordingly.
- Attainable- I have an at-home workout program, a walking track near my house, and meal planner meal planner so I have access to the tools I need to make this possible.
- Realistic- 3 inches to lose is a realistic amount. I’m not trying to lose my whole goal weight in 3 short months. Devoting only 5 of my 7 days to working out and clean eating gives me wiggle room for hard days and special occasions.
- Timely- And lastly, I’m not setting a deadline so far off that I’ll feel like it’s ok to slack off and catch up later. Additionally, hitting a smaller goal sooner will help fire me up for my next goal.
Why do SMART fitness goals matter as a homeschool mom?
Regular exercise provides better sleep, feel-good endorphins, and extra energy. Can you honestly say you can’t use some of that in your homeschool day? I have Fibromyalgia. I treat it with exercise and the days I skip, I pay for it. When they start to pile up, it’s a disaster. Not only do I suffer, but my whole family suffers for it as well. Can you relate?
This is why I’ve created three styles of printables for you to make a goal (fitness or otherwise) for this new year. Hang it somewhere you’ll see regularly to keep you on track! It may be cliche to some people, but with all the sales on fitness equipment and healthy recipes popping up on Pinterest, it’s a great time to set a new goal!
Your Turn: What’s your smart goal?! (PS- The Homeschool Mom Fitness program is on sale now for only $14.97!)
Join the newsletter
Join thousands of moms just like you!
Subscribe today to get a free SMART goal planner page in 3 design choices, occasional exclusive discounts, encouragement, and tips!